Lace up your tennis shoes, stretch out those muscles and come in to Cincinnati Museum Center to work up a physical and mental sweat! Our Science of Sports exhibit challenges your body and mind as you explore how incredible feats of athleticism are just science at work.
Throwing a 104 mph fastball or running a blazing 100-meter dash may seem like superhuman acts, but Science of Sports proves that they’re just ordinary acts of extraordinary science. The human body is a complex system of muscles, joints and neurons that help us perform and react in incredible ways. Put your own body to the test in a variety of interactive experiences in this incredible exhibit:
- Blaze down the track as you test your speed against a friend, U.S. Olympian, cheetah or dinosaur
- Grip the oars and wait for the starting gun before you and your friends row against video opponents in a test of upper and lower body strength and endurance
- Step onto the mound and check the signal from the catcher before bringing the heat as you test your pitching speed and accuracy
- Impress the judges and test your balance on a 10 centimeter-wide competition balance beam
- Strap into a specialized sport wheelchair and check your time in a virtual 50-meter sprint
- Step in front of the green screen for a game of volleyball or soccer
- Visit the skeleton wall to look inside the human body at the skeleton and body systems that make it move
- Hit the child-sized supermarket to discover what foods fuel the body
Plus, learn about the science of the sports you love from professionals and experts through demonstrations on the Science of Sports Stage.
Science of Sports also features photos from the Greater Cincinnati Sports Corporation 's 25 Years, 25 Great Moments in Cincinnati Sports, part of its 25th anniversary celebration in 2014. A list of 50 significant sports moments were compiled and whittled down to 25. Fans voted on their top five moments, casting over 10,000 votes over a one-month period.
The photos feature iconic moments ranging from high school to professional sports including baseball, football, basketball, tennis, golf and NASCAR. Originally featured online, Science of Sports marks their public debut in print form, allowing sports fans of every generation an opportunity to relive these incredible moments up close and personal.
Science of Sports was conceived by the Saint Louis Science Center and produced by the Ontario Science Centre.