This exhibition is no longer available at Cincinnati Museum Center.
Tomorrow’s aviation pioneers are here. It’s time for their first mission.
Mission Aerospace is cleared for landing at Cincinnati Museum Center. Find your way through an interactive aeronautical labyrinth.
Mission Aerospace is your chance to prove you have the right stuff to lead the future of space exploration. Over a dozen experiments, puzzles and activities are packed into an a-maze-ing journey of twists and turns. Learn about the history of rockets and flight, explore the technology that supports modern-day aeronautics and test the laws of aerodynamics by creating advanced paper airplanes and rockets.
Mission Aerospace flight crew will:
- Find their way through an interactive, aeronautics-themed maze, completing puzzles and experiments as they go.
- Build their own rockets and paper airplanes and test their creations for distance and air dexterity. Can their rocket make it to Saturn, or only Sydney? Can you tweak your plan to do in-air stunts like barrel rolls and loops?
- Explore the history of aviation and rocket science, from the first fighter planes of World War I and World War II-era helicopters, to the first American jet fighter and the F-22 Raptor.
- Get familiar with the mechanics of flight. Fly a model plane through a miniature wind tunnel to learn about thrust, lift and control surfaces. Spin gyroscopes to feel how navigation systems find true north. Use geometry and the process of trilateration to mimic a GPS satellite.
- Attend Ace Academy, where cadets can pilot a World War I-era biplane using a motion sensing camera.
- See themselves as NASA scientist, pilot or astronaut.
Humanity’s future is in the stars. This generation, equipped with an understanding of flight’s history and physics, will lead us there.