Learning from Home
Keep Learning With Us
As a leading educational institution, we are exploring ways CMC can continue to be a resource for you and your students. We are creating virtual learning opportunities and online resources – including exhibits, videos, blogs, curator interviews and activities – to help students keep their minds active during school closure.
We would like to hear from you. How can we support your instruction and your students’ learning during this time? If you have questions or suggestions, please add them here.
Curiosity is far too big to fit into a museum, so we’re bringing it straight to you.
Wonder Zone brings experiments and museum experiences into your home. Follow along and try your hand at some of these experiments or just watch and enjoy.
Additional Online Resources
There’s a world of wonder out there and we’re here to help you find it. Here’s a list of additional online resources for lifelong learners of all ages.
Maya Chocolate Drinking Vessels Activity
We may think of Chocolate as just a sweet treat, but for the Maya it was an important part of celebrations and religious rituals. The drinking vessels they used were richly decorated. Create your own with this step by step activity.
Union Terminal on WMKV
Every week, Cincinnati Museum Center partners with WMKV to share behind-the-scenes interviews, oral histories and upcoming events all set against the background of historic Union Terminal. Tune in live to 89.3FM WMKV every Monday at 5 p.m. or catch up on past episodes here.
Fashion and style can tell us a lot about politics and society. Try out some vintage looks and learn why they didn’t just fall out of fashion but were bold statements.
From Seed to Flower: Selected Books from the Cornelius J. Hauck Botanical Collection
Explore incredibly rare books relating to botany, horticulture, landscape architecture, agriculture and forestry from 1471 to the 20th century.
Back to School Resources from The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
- Watch this video full of tips for parents about strategies for supporting learning from home
- Explore all the ways Homework HelpNow can help your child or teen succeed. Start with this video and then log into the site with your library card to explore
- Check out the 18-video series on our streaming service, Kanopy, called How to Become a SuperStar Student. While most videos are aimed at teens, there are some for parents about helping with homework and communicating with teachers
- Have older kids? Familiarize yourself with our research databases they can use for school assignments
- Set up a virtual or phone appointment with a librarian to learn about what other resources and opportunities are available
A New Kind of Storytime with The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
Sometimes young children ask questions that are hard to answer. And it's best to answer their questions with words they understand. That’s why The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County put together a new Storytime at Home series, Important Conversations. These are available on-demand, 24/7 and address topics such as conflict, illness, race and more.