FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 22, 2019
MEDIA CONTACT: Cody Hefner (513) 608-5777, firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet a new breed of superhero in Superpower Dogs
Four-legged stars light up the Robert D. Lindner Family OMNIMAX® Theater at Cincinnati Museum Center
CINCINNATI – What if our best friends are our best hope? Cincinnati Museum Center’s newest OMNIMAX® film showcases the lifesaving superpowers and extraordinary bravery of some of the world’s most amazing dogs. Superpower Dogs opens November 23 in the Robert D. Lindner Family OMNIMAX® Theater.
From the waters of the Mediterranean and the waves off California’s coast to the mountains of British Columbia and the savannas of Africa, journey around the globe to meet remarkable dogs who save lives and discover the powerful bond they share with their human partners in an immersive OMNIMAX® adventure. The film reveals the astonishing science behind their extraordinary abilities, ensuring that we’ll never look at our best friends the same way again.
“Superpower Dogs is tail-wagging proof that science is all around us and manifests itself in amazing ways,” says Elizabeth Pierce, president and CEO of Cincinnati Museum Center. “We’re excited to share this incredible and inspiring adventure with our guests as these furry, four-legged stars show us that heroes come in many forms.”
Chris Evans narrates the film and introduces you to its stars:
- Halo, a Dutch Shepherd training as a disaster response dog. Halo trains in facilities around the country to become a member of Florida Task Force 1, one of the most elite search and rescue teams in America.
- Henry, a Border Collie working as an avalanche search and rescue dog in Whistler, British Columbia. Henry’s weekly training includes search and rescue practice, transportation by snowmobile, toboggan, chairlift and on his handler’s shoulders, as well as helicopter insertion and extrication.
- Reef, a Newfoundland working with the Scuela Italiana di Cani Salvataggio (Italian School of Water Rescue Dogs). Reef is an instructor dog, helping other dogs develop their innate rescue instinct to save human lives. She can deploy from a boat or helicopter, can swim for miles without tiring and tow up to 40 times her own weight in the water.
- Ricochet, a Golden Retriever and one of America’s most beloved therapy dogs. In 2009, Ricochet jumped on a surfboard with a boy who is quadriplegic and has since surfed with hundreds of individuals, a true SURFice dog. She provides canine assisted surfing to empower and improve the quality of life for individuals with physical, cognitive or emotional disabilities and is a member of two surf dog Hall of Fames.
- Tony and Tipper, Bloodhound brothers working with the Kenyan Wildlife Service to protect the residents of the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy, particularly endangered rhinos and threatened elephants. Tony and Tipper are expert trackers and have helped arrest over 40 poachers and many other criminals, including cattle raiders. Their evidence is actually admissible in Kenyan court, making them the only member of the animal kingdom with the authority to testify in trial.
“The film positions these ‘Olympic athletes’ of the dog world as exotic as any whale or tiger and just as heroic as Captain America,” says Daniel Ferguson, writer and director of Superpower Dogs. “The OMNIMAX® format is so visceral and immersive that people will feel like they’re living these dramatic rescues and they’ll even get a chance to see and hear what the world is like through a dog’s eyes and ears.”
The 47-minute film, from IMAX Entertainment, Cosmic Picture and presenting sponsor Mars Petcare, was filmed for large-format screens using special IMAX cameras over the course of 2 ½ years.
Superpower Dogs opens November 23 in the Robert D. Lindner Family OMNIMAX® Theater. For more information visit cincymuseum.org/superpower-dogs.
About Cincinnati Museum Center
Cincinnati Museum Center (CMC) at Union Terminal is a nationally recognized institution and national historic landmark. Dedicated to sparking community dialogue, insight and inspiration, CMC was awarded the 2009 National Medal for Museum and Library Service from the Institute of Museum and Library Services and received accreditation from the American Alliance of Museums in 2012. CMC is one of a select few museums in the nation with both of these honors, making it a unique asset and a vital community resource. Union Terminal has been voted the nation's 45th most important building by the American Institute of Architects. Organizations within CMC include the Cincinnati History Museum, Duke Energy Children's Museum, Museum of Natural History & Science, Robert D. Lindner Family OMNIMAX® Theater and Cincinnati History Library & Archives. Recognized by Forbes Traveler Magazine as the 17th most visited museum in the country, CMC welcomes more than one million visitors annually. For more information, visit www.cincymuseum.org.
About Cosmic Picture
Cosmic Picture seeks to make the most compelling cinematic experiences possible and to change people’s perception of the universe in unexpected ways. Past films include award-winning IMAX and giant screen productions and transformative environmental documentaries with tremendous social impact. For more information on Cosmic Picture, visit www.cosmicpicture.com.
About IMAX Corporation
IMAX, an innovator in entertainment technology, combines proprietary software, architecture and equipment to create experiences that take you beyond the edge of your seat to a world you’ve never imagined. Top filmmakers and studios are utilizing IMAX theatres to connect with audiences in extraordinary ways, and, as such, IMAX’s network is among the most important and successful theatrical distribution platforms for major event films around the globe. More information about the company can be found at www.imax.com. You may also connect with IMAX on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
About Mars Petcare
Mars Petcare is a diverse and growing business with 75,000 associates across 50+ countries dedicated to one purpose: A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS™. With 75 years of experience, our portfolio of almost 50 brands serves the health and nutrition needs of the world’s pets – including brands PEDIGREE®, WHISKAS®, ROYAL CANIN®, NUTRO™, GREENIES™, SHEBA®, CESAR®, IAMS™ and EUKANUBA™ as well as The Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition which has advanced research in the nutrition and health of pets for over 50 years. Mars Petcare is also a leading veterinary health provider through a network of over 2,000 pet hospitals including BANFIELD™, BLUEPEARL™, PET PARTNERS™, VCA™ and Linnaeus. We’re also active in innovation and technology for pets, with WISDOM PANEL™ genetic health screening and DNA testing for dogs, the WHISTLE™ GPS dog tracker, and LEAP VENTURE STUDIO accelerator and COMPANION FUND™ programs that drive innovation and disruption in the pet care industry. As a family business and guided by our principles, we are privileged with the flexibility to fight for what we believe in – and we choose to fight for: A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS™.
10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Open daily with the exception of Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day.